Improvise with more expression and freedom in bluegrass and related styles. These ideas, exercises, and etudes will help you expand your palette of improvisational techniques and sounds. Develop your versatility over the fingerboard, and master harmonic and rhythmic ideas on the mandolin. The CD has demonstration and play-along tracks, performed by an all-star band.
- Lamb Chops (Skeletal Melody and five levels of improvisation).
- The Girl I Left Behind Me (Reharmonization).
- The Infinite Blackberry Blossom (Melodic Cells and Progressive Rhythmic Variation).
- The Ark and the Saw (Changing the Mode).
- Act Natural (Mutually Exclusive Triads).
- High Windy (Developing Motifs and Upper-Structure Triads).
- IHOP (Mixolydian String Crossing).
- Hot Lick Fiddle Chick (Shifting Positions While Playing Constantly Flowing Eighth Notes).
- Gunshot Wound in the E. R. (Dominant Seventh Chords around the Cycle).
- Fishy Hornpipe (Tetrachords).
- Ponzi Scheme (Increasing Rhythmic Density).
- That Tumble-Down Shack in Athlone (Guide-Tone Lines in Double Stops).